Thursday, September 3, 2015

Your The Inspiration by Chicago


As I was leaving the house this morning and on my merry way to another fun-filled day of funds, I began to wonder, "What will I post about tonight" and then like a thunderbolt from the Gods I received on the Sirius radio Your The Inspiration by Chicago. Yes I believe in fate because at that moment I thought it would be such an interesting topic to discuss what our influences our creative juices, or even better, what do you do when you are unable to find that "A-Ha" moment (when you think you have finally found a break-through).

And I thought this would be a perfect idea for us to reflect on since we will be in the process of brainstorming on our current and upcoming pieces. Additionally, I have always found that the creative process just doesn't have a simple-solution, "Take two of these and you will be creative in the morning." No, it can be arduous and sometimes painstaking but I think over time and the more we learn about our own creative process (and the ways that others are inspired to create) we find a trend. A creative journey.















For me in my creative process can be described as a roller-coaster at best. Although, I think that my creative swing might have to depend on where I am emotionally, physically and personally. I have noticed that if I am physically drained or my attention is pulled to 100 other things, it can throw my creative balance off. At that point I just need to get away from the problem and absorb something else. I find that going for a long walk and listening to music or even going out for a bite to eat can sometimes help me re-focus. Many times my mind may be in the middle of daily work and something just grabs me out of the blue.. that A-Ha moment or (not using an Ed Gold term) the That Might Work moment.

Now let me state I am not talking about showing your work to a supervisor or an professor and getting your work revamped/redirected. God bless those people and what they do, because revamping  can be more arduous than coming out of the gate with a basic idea.













(language yes, but I couldn't pass on this)



So I noted one way that I like to deal with the creative process but how do you handle that? Is it to the point where you have a personal process or preference. Do you light candles and say a prayer? What is it that gets you through those dark times?
Stumped? Here are some suggestions on how well-known designers get through their block on creativity:


Niklaus Troxler_Swiss poster designer: "When I really start to work on a design, it mostly happens fast. I might be walking down the street and suddenly, 'ah' make a connection. You cannot go out and find exactly the right trigger, so you have to have time to feel free."

Paul Rand_famous American Designer: "When I sit down to think a job, I do not try to direct my mind. In fact very often I don't think about the job at all, but while I'm eating, 'oh yes', an answer just comes."

Woody Pirtle_American Designer/Pentagram-New York: "There are time when I really get stuck, and need outside input. So I speak to someone about it. I am amazed how often a person who is uninvolved will come at the problem from a completely different direction."



Finally, here is something I stumbled across that you might want to take into consideration. On the blog site creativecreativity.com there is a post from September 15, 2013 noting that we as creative thinkers create as we consume (not food). And maybe this goes back to what I mentioned with my creativity and how it stumbles based off of what I exposing myself to. Maybe we should think to prime our minds to what we are about to create, before we get into a creative rut.

Here is a small exert from the blog:

 What you create is a direct reflection of what you choose to expose yourself to. This is not to say that you create exactly what you take in, although that certainly happens occasionally. No, everything you put in your brain is reflected through the prism of your own unique point of view and experiences. 
 While it is a given that an athlete should change their diet while training for a big event, why don't creative people do the same thing?


No comments: