Friday, September 11, 2015

Re: Brainstorming



Ah, brainstorming good brainstorming techniques.  I’ll start with what I do to get rolling at the beginning of a project. I grab my sketchbook or a blank piece of computer paper and quickly write down any words, ideas, concepts, jibberish that I can think of that has to do with the project at hand. It helps give me direction. The key for me, though, is I have to do it on blank paper where I can roam and doodle and sketch and categorize/draw connection lines when something interesting actually generates in my brain. I get really overwhelmed when I open a blank document on the computer without having taken pen to paper first. Weird. Who knows.

In the spirit of checking out other creative processes like Laura, I found this on a blog titled, “Creative Bloq” – 11 best ways to brainstorm creative ideas.

Let me summarize the summary (click the link above for more detail):
01. Be unselfconscious
02. Get the timing right
03. Look outside for inspiration
04. Give full disclosure
05. Question the brief
06. Sit around a proper table
07. Go back to basics with physical things
08. Be honest
09. Play word games to generate ideas
10. Take a break and let things sink in
11. Try one of these apps: Mindnode, Moodboard, OmniGraffle, MyPantone, iDesign

We mentioned some of these in class last week, especially looking for outside inspiration that does not have to do with the project or other designers. I think the one I need to focus on more is #7 – go back to basics with physical things. I really like the idea of finding another creative outlet that is not designing in front of a computer-- another way to disconnect when we hit that wall, but still be productive. I recently re-found my love for coloring with this adult coloring book craze going on, and realized that when I am coloring, I spend a lot more time thinking about how I shade things and how dark and light tones make a picture look completely different. I cannot draw at all, so doing this on physical paper rather than illustrator where I am manipulating color on a slider was kind of eye opening.

Full disclosure – I had a good run for like 3 days this summer and have not done it since. I think tapping into this type of stuff- whether it’s a groupon painting class, whittling wood with the hipsters (okay, that sounds miserable), or whatever - could be great for brainstorming when you are in a rut. I also found it to be an incredible stress relief tactic, which could be helpful when I am beating myself up for not generating some great idea.

Don, I like your TV channel surfing idea – I may give this one a try!

The Biebs needs to rethink this hair. #donaldtrumping

No comments: