Thursday, September 10, 2015

Brainstorming Technique: Challenger

I am admittedly not dedicated to or consistent in my creative process or idea generation. I have to force myself to sketch by hand. I prefer to just start working on a computer because it's quicker for me to visualize what's in my head versus my sloppy sketches. So, anyway, in the spirit of discovery and not wanting to harp about techniques we've all heard before, I went to Google to find some new techniques and I came across the following from PersonalExcellence.co.

"Challenger. List all the assumptions in your situation and challenge them. For example, your goal is to brainstorm on a list of ideas for your romance novel which you want to get published. There are several assumptions you are operating in here. #1: Genre to write: Romance. Why must it be that romance? Can it be a different genre? Another assumption is for a novel. #2: Length of the story: Novel. Why must it be a novel? Can it be a short story? A series of books? #3: Medium: Book. Why must be it a book? Can it be an ebook? Mp3? Video? And so on."

While I don't think this technique would work for every situation, I am intrigued by it and hope to try it soon. I think all too often when I sit down to come up with ideas, I get one or two notions in my head and tend to favor those ideas going forward despite coming up with others. I think the Challenger technique could be a way to overcome that.

I'll try to come up with an example of, say, designing a website for a resort hotel (just popped into my head because this was an assignment for another class this week.) Here goes...

Assumptions/Challenges
1. Websites need photographs of the place.
CHALLENGE: Why does it have to be photographs? Can there be illustrations? Does the imagery have to just be of the resort or can it be of people having fun at the resort?

2. Websites need descriptive content.
CHALLENGE: Why can't the content be narrative? Can it tell a story? Can the images tell the story?

3. Website needs a "Book now" call to action.
CHALLENGE: Why "book now"? Can it sound sexier? Why can't it be, "Plan Your Escape Today"? Can the home page feature an instate availability search with a calendar?


No comments: