Sunday, September 6, 2015

Re: Inspiration

Loved the comics, ha ha. As Jim pointed out in his post about how random inspiration can be, I can certainly echo that from my experiences. Sometimes it comes out of the blue while I am drifting off to sleep, sometimes it comes from my crazy brainstorming word lists that I almost always start with when I begin a project.

I feel like as designers, we are constantly consuming and cataloging information either online (pinterest, blogs, portfolios, etc.) or out in the real-non pinterest world of cool projects, noticing building design and signs, color patterns in trees, etc...and it all gets logged into our memory. Maybe we recognize and catalog this information differently because that's how our brains work and BAM it hits us - that poster would totally look great with that weird texture effect that we saw in the gravel on the ground the other day. Like most people, I like to have a certain environment when I work- quiet, cozy and clean, with some music on in the background -is usually my go-to. Late night or early AM is usually my zone. These things help me to produce when I need to be focused.

When I hit a wall while I'm designing something,  like Jim, I usually like to walk away for a bit...or go to bed...if I have time. I know we can't do this all the time and its definitely a luxury to be able to walk away, and when "the wall" happens I usually revisit my research, sketches and word trees to see if I can see something I didn't see before. To me, the answer usually lies in that initial research that I seem to stray away from when I get too caught up in how something "should look" or an element that I love but is just not working quite right. I really do think putting in a ton of energy into research rather than diving right in off of a feeling usually pays off the most.

As a balance to the "AhHA inspiration moment," this famous photorealist artist, Chuck Close, talks about inspiration and work ethic from the other side of the water, where he states, "“Inspiration is for amateurs — the rest of us just show up and get to work.” I don't think it is that black and white but hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion and he makes some interesting points, here, on creativity. He's got a clear routine and it obviously works great for him.


No comments: