Monday, September 28, 2015

Design Resources

Hello! Sorry for the delay. I had some confusion as to who was supposed to be on the blog this week, since Shannon and I switched between October 7 and 14.

In my class discussion, I had talked mostly about process and briefly about design resources and how we as designers can stay on top of whats trending both creatively and technologically. I'm a member of AIGA, so I follow them on various platforms in addition to receiving their emails. I also read Smashing Magazine, and follow Girls Who Code as well as Girl Develop It for more web based and related information.

In searching around for other resources, I came across an article on the Creative Bloq on The 10 Best Graphic Design Podcasts, which I thought was interesting since I never really thought about an entire "channel" being devoted to graphic design jargon.

Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with podcasts and the only one I've heard about from multiple people is the Serial podcast. So, after reading through this article, I decided to subscribe to a few. One of them is Design Matters with Debbie Millman. This podcast has a lot of spots for well known graphic designers to come on and discuss their work as a designer and discuss various topics. There is also Mac Power Users which talks heavily on all things Mac, including software upgrades, workflow progression, essential apps and utilities for your Mac, etc. There is also TypeRadio which covers type talk and design talk. This is a little different because it also serves as a streaming internet radio station.

So now that I've learned about this new way (to me) of keeping up with design trends, my questions to you are...

How do you keep up with what's trending in design?

Do you listen to any of these podcasts, or any other ones not represented in this article? If so, what are they? Do you have a favorite episode?

What measures do you take to stay up-to-date on technology, especially when software changes and things that you used to be able to do are now different or sadly no longer exist because they are replaced with something else? I started learning design in CS2. So I've had to adjust with every version. How do you adjust and keep fresh with tech?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I also forgot to mention unsplash.com which is full of completely free, royalty free images. They offer high res images free for all use (commercial and personal) under Creative Commons.