Tuesday, September 22, 2015

RE: Flexin'/ Jim Feedback



In terms of delivering bad design, I have similar experiences to Shannon – so I’ll go down that road in relation to Mo’s thread. I work with a lot of VPs that ALL want their input worked through in a design, whether it is an Ad, flow chart, proposal graphic, etc.  My marketing manager usually says the same thing as Shannon’s supervisor-- “give them what they want and let them see how bad their idea is for this project.” I, too, cringe when I hit the send button. To fight my designers remorse (when I have the time) I often send them exactly what they want and then what I think might work better. If I don’t have time, I try to gently say why their concept might not work and offer suggestions before laying out something completely different. Going through this process often allows us to come up with something that communicates the message much more clearly.  In situations like this and Shannon’s job, I think intentional bad design sheds light on the communication problems at hand and helps those who originated the request/designers to better understand exactly what they need in a final product.

I understand the “designing badly on purpose” route more so through word association brainstorming and sketching. But I spend so much time moving elements within my design program when I am actually sitting down in this phase of the design process, that perhaps I am going through the motions in a more fluid manner than designing a whole design poorly on purpose. 

Jim Feedback:
Jim I think this is coming together nicely. My only critique offhand is that each web page looks like a home page and none seem like an interior page – maybe changing the layout on some of the interior pages and offering more information might help to differentiate?

No comments: