Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Re: Inspiration

It’s always beneficial to reflect on your creative process and know what works best for you. To start, I know I need to be well rested and in the right mindset to produce my best work. I’m also very sensitive to my surroundings. My workspace needs to be neat and have good lighting.

My process starts with A LOT of research. Pinterest and Behance are the two resources I use the most when searching for inspiration. Mood boards have helped me immensely thus far in the program. On my mood boards I explore typefaces, colors, and find similar designs with the tone I have in mind. Depending on the project and whether or not it requires a logo or new concept, I like to sketch those out before moving to the computer.

My “ah ha” moments always come at a different time during my process. I’ve gone through many projects where it never seems to hit me and I feel like I’m just going through the motions. Usually at some point, I step away from the project for at least a day then come back to it. This usually helps.


A few tips I've learned from previous professors on the design process: Joe Fioramonti has a folder on his desktop that has thousands of design photos. His screen saver is a seemingly never-ending slideshow of design inspiration. This way he is always being exposed, even when he isn't searching for it. Jeanne Fountain likes the cut and paste method once in her digital draft phase. This allows her to look away from the computer on a new medium and explore different layout options. 

No comments: