Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Flexing Design Muscles and Feedback for Jim

Flexing Your Design Muscle

In response to Maurice's question regarding activities that I use to flex my creative muscles, I've done a few exercises but unfortunately not a lot. I wish I made more time to freely express my creativity. I doodle, a lot. However, my doodles generally don't mean anything. I think their main purpose is to just let my brain work out a problem while keeping my body occupied (less distraction maybe).

I have done the 30-day drawing challenge, which is pretty cool. For every day, you draw something different. You can draw 30 separate drawings or make one big collage which gets to be interesting.  Here is an example of one of the many drawing challenges out there.







In regards to designing badly on purpose, I understand the role of how getting bad ideas out helps the process of finding that really good idea. However, I don't always feel that the first ideas are bad ones. I think you just sometimes have to work it out in the design process to really see if its a good idea or bad idea.

In regards to Shannon and Erin's comments regarding clients who request bad design, UGH! Just, ugh! I do however follow a similar process to Shannon and Erin where I may outright suggest a better idea, and then if they come back still wanting their bad design, I'll badly design something, and then design something better to show them a comparison. I feel like this process is very irritating and time consuming, but unfortunately necessary to prove a point. I know I'm still young in the field of being a full-time designer, but I kind of feel like, would you tell your doctor what your diagnosis is, or would you let them do their job and diagnose you? Just, UGH! Sorry, that's my rant.

Feedback for Jim

Hey Jim! This is looking good. I do agree with Erin that the interior pages are hard to differentiate from the homepage. If this is a parallax website, it may work okay. But if it is going to a separately linked subpage, I think there should be a little more differentiation. Hope that helps!

No comments: