Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Creative Juice

Something I read long ago has managed to stick with me as my brain destroys and rebuilds itself with the ongoing years. It was in Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People–the second-best-selling book of all time, internationally (The Bible is #1). He says that when faced with a problem and a deadline, you should give it its due consideration well in advance. Keep it in your mind, but don't obsess over it too soon. As the deadline draws closer, you should sit down and devote every iota of concentration you have to the problem. Think really hard about it. Then, don't think about it all. Do what Jim and Erin said: go to bed, take a walk, adopt a highway, whatever floats your boat. The solution will present itself to you.

I like Dale's advice, but like most advice, I take it with a grain of salt. I don't like to teeter too close to deadlines, so I try to do my hard thinking earlier on in the process. This way I have a chance to make changes, discuss with my friends/colleagues, and let the idea mature as I go about my life.

Similar to Shannon, I need a clean slate when I begin. If I have other nagging tasks that I can knock out first, I'll typically tackle those first. I couldn't agree more with the last part of Jim's post: "You are what you eat." To the list of things we consume, I would add the people with whom we surround ourselves. Friends should be motivated, encouraging, frank, supportive, and forward-thinking. If you engage with dullards and slackers daily, guess what?...

Half a lifetime ago I was shooting around on a rim outside of my high school when a man showed up and asked if I wanted to play 1 on 1. I hesitantly agreed, as he was older and more fit, and much to my dismay he destroyed me. Despite the obvious gap in our skill levels, I noticed that I played much better when facing a talented and challenging foe. I told him that after the game and he said "The best way to get better is to play with people better than you."

Surround yourselves with greatness and inspiration will come.

No comments: