Thursday, September 10, 2015

When it Brains, it Storms


Ugh, that was a palpably grotesque play on words. What do I do when Ive got nothing and I need something? It depends what Im looking for. If Im trying to think of someones name, Ill usually cycle through the alphabet considering each letter. After that fails, I might try to think of the different times and places I saw that person. If I can think of other people who were there, a simple Facebook stalk might do the trick. But what if I see someone who I recognize but cant quite pinpoint how I know them? Like if I watch a movie and recognize a B-List actor, and cant remember where else Ive seen him/her. I suppose I just keep watching in that case. Listen to the voice, take note of the various facial expressions. Checking IMDB is cheating. It's important that we flex our brain muscles in moments like these.  #thoughtsquats #mindgrind # braingains

What if Ive got a hot date but I dont know where to take her? Hmmm, Ill consult the CityPaper to see if anything interesting is going on that night. If all thats happening on a Wednesday is open mic slap-poetry night at One World Café, I might think of different geographical neighborhoods and try to narrow it down that way. I picture the routes, bars, buildings and parks and try to think of whats nearby, where I havent been. Ill try to imagine what it would look like to be having a pleasant time with her, and then try to locate a venue that matches what Id imagined. It almost never ends up how Id planned it, but this is how I can at least select a time and place.

Right now Im thinking about how I brainstorm. Im brainstorming brainstorming techniques. Its metacognitive inception! And how am I doing it? I tilt my head a little as I type, furrow my brow, and look off into the distance as the film reel spins in my minds eye. I picture myself thinking, chewing on a pencil eraser, spewing words onto a page and then rearranging them later. I think about those swirling fragments of thought that dont quite cleave together, and that eureka moment when I find something shiny amidst the detritus.

Sometimes when Im feeling uninspired and looking for novel ideas, I turn on the tv and start at channel 2. Without using the guide, I hit channel up, like the olden days, and give each show at least a 15 second chance. This guy is carving wood, these people are fording a river, Kim Kardashian is speaking into the camera, A line drive down the third base line, Animaniacs, Fox News, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, a Rhianna music video, the pope. I make an effort not to get sucked into anything, but to expose my mind to 100 different things in 15 minutes or so. It rattles the cobwebs loose sometimes. You arent allowed to use the guide though, thats cheating!


I hope this is somewhat helpful. Oh, and heres the Hoefler-Frere Jones article Laura mentioned:


Aaaaaaaand here's that Bieb video I mentioned earlier. I promise it gets good at 1:07


Class dismissed.

No comments: