Friday, September 11, 2015

Re: Brainstorming

So last week I spoke briefly on my brainstorming techniques: word mapping and research. I thought this week I might go into more detail about the research I do. I really like to get a good base of information to start, whether it's visual or factual. And since I come from a marketing background, one of the most important aspects of this is understanding my/my client's target audience. I might research the demographics and trends or write down all of the questions I think the audience might have about whatever it is I'm designing for. I believe that understanding your audience and gathering inspiration from information and visuals gets you a good start to the creative process.

Also, I recently started working in a brand department, and one useful technique I've been apart of is a brainstorming meeting. They are really fun and frequently used. People from various departments come in and just blurt out ideas. You bounce off one another and the ideas get better and better. Afterwards an email is sent of out everything that was thought of. Sometimes people vote on their favorites and sometimes the branding committee decides. This can be helpful to individual designers also. Surrounding yourself with your trusted "lovers" allows you to bounce ideas off other designers.

No comments: