Wednesday, November 14, 2012

RE: Typographic Sins


Interesting list and interesting timing.

It's funny because just the other week my cousin called and asked me to tell her daughter that there were two spaces after a sentence because her daughter was arguing that there was one. I felt bad that I had to tell her that there was only one space. But for the sake of an argument, I feel like we were taught there were two growing up.

Okay, back to the list of sins...

I thought this was a great poster/list although I think a few things could be clarified. There are a few items on the list that make me wonder (Huh?), or that I may possibly be guilty of, or that just weird me out. They are as follows:

Things that weird me out:
4. Failing to tuck periods/ commas inside quotes (I get a weird felling about this when writing)

Things I am sometimes guilty of:
6. Using a hyphen instead of an en dash
21. Incorrectly abbreviating AM and PM

Things that make me say huh?:
12. Underlining titles instead of Italicizing them (Not sure I've ever seen or done this)
17. Indenting the first paragraph and indenting a paragraph to far. I always thought you indented 1/2 inch


No comments: