Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Re: Typographic Sins




I like the idea of this list, but I would have liked to see the samples made more clear. That said, I highlighted 13, 14, 20, 25, and 26 for my boss. Since I was first told to just "squish" the type (vertically scale) to fit, and have refused to do so, my boss and I have been at odds over these rules (25 and 26).
I have always found a way around it, even when I have to use 4 pt type to make it fit (3.8 is the smallest we are legally allowed to use) or demand a dieline change. These rules are a great guideline for anyone working in page layout and typesetting, but just like with poetry, once you know these rules, you can break them IF you do it the right way.
I have seen beautiful layouts that purposely use negative letterspacing, or reverse type.
The image I've attached is NOT an example of that.

No comments: