Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Re: Packaging Design

All of the examples people have shown are great. The packaging looks appealing thus the product, no matter how simplistic or really how silly the product could be, is attracting people to buy it. Sometimes I find myself a little humorous when it comes to picking out products. I had mentioned this before in a previous blog post, but I do like to try and get the best deal out of everything, so I use to tend to skip what the packaging looked like and basically buy non-brand name things--unless it of course was for a gift or I was completely brand loyal (i.e apple products, true religion jeans, OPI nail polish, etc.). But even then, I don't buy them because of their appealing and well designed packaging. I buy them because well of their ability to not fail me. OPI nail polish almost never chips after the first two days of wearing it like any other brand; True Religion Jeans are comfortable, slimming, and can be washed a million times and still look trendy without shrinking; and of course there's Apple products-- we are all designers, I don't need to rave about Apple over PC or why my iPhone is amazing.

I guess what I'm trying to ask here is why do people pay so much attention to packaging materials and not pricing? Is it because your brand-loyal, because that would mean that it's not even the packaging thats making you buy it, its the product. A couple people mentioned that some of the most well-designed packages are for products that are a little pricey. Does the well-designed packaging make it pricier (spelling?)? If you went into a store and you saw the same headphones and you knew they were the same headphones, they both work well, and last long. One is packaged in a well-designed case and extremely attractive; while the other is in a simplistic box that's not very appealing. The one designed well is priced $15 more. Which would you buy? Me, I throw away the box as soon as I got home and would have the same headphones as anyone else who bought the other more expensive kind--the difference, I would be listening to my music with a smile because I just saved $15.

So well-designed packaging, yes I love to look at it. I have to, because if no one designed it then I eventually wouldn't have a job, right? But I still think there is more to it then pretty colors and attractiveness. I think it does influence the price of the product and soon I will research this and find out.

No comments: