Wednesday, November 14, 2012

RE: Typographic Sins


I follow everything on this list, but am continually surprised when I see these “sins” in the work of fellow designers. Everything on this list is valid, but there are a few that are dependent upon what style publication you’re following. APA dictates that you indent the first paragraph, even this first one, and the legal profession is adamant about two spaces between sentences (and don’t get me started about how much they love their justified text, BOO).

One thing on this list that I am kind of lazy about is using prime marks instead of quotation marks when I’m using a sans-serif, but after reviewing this list, I actually went through my latest project to make sure I’m using actual quotation marks.

One thing I’d add to this list is to choose either indenting your paragraphs or putting a space between them, but don’t use both. 

And the second? 

Designers talking to other designers should definitely say typeface, not font. Obviously, the popular, however inaccurate nomenclature is “font” and when speaking with non-designers, I’ll use it, but give yourself some cred and use the proper name. Read more here >> http://www.aiga.org/theyre-not-fonts/

I’ve also noticed that a lot of designers don’t hang their punctuation into the margin. (Window > Type & Tables > Story > Optical Margin alignment). The first few times I sent some items off to our local printers, their in-house designer kept emailing me to ask if it was a mistake. I suppose I should send them this list…

No comments: