Friday, November 9, 2012

RE: Typographic Sins


I actually found this list interesting, I guess that is because I am a lister! I love list, no matter how useful or usless they are to me. I agree with Becky that I did not know the true meaning nor the difference of an "en" and an "em" dash until I took Words and Images last Spring. Thanks to that course I no longer just call them dashes, atleast I try not to.

The only point on the list that I can say I use the mosts or atleast pay the most attention to is:
4. Failing to tuck periods/commas inside quotation marks
(I try to make sure my periods are properly placed when using a quote)

Points that I tend to catch my self failing to do:
12. Underlining titles instead of italicizing them.
14. Failing to eliminate orphans.
15. Rivers in justified text.

When responding to this blog I thought I was going to have more points from the list that I actually use from day to day. Now, maybe I should be using them if not in my day to day routines but in my moments of design.

Some other typographic rules that I live by in my day to day design work are:
- aligning the baseline in my lines of text.
- do NOT CAPITALIZE, bold, italize, & underline all at once (THIS IS IMPORTANT). Use 1 at a time.
- use the proper amount of commas (this has always been my downfall & still is)

No comments: