Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Re: Open Mic & Save the Fonts

Open Mic


My favorite part of this class and UB as a whole, is learning from my peers/instructors throughout the entire design process. Before grad school, I never had this – aside from one close friend who also designed on the side without a real design background. And let’s get real – your husband, parents and one of your best friend’s aren’t going to give you the real truth feedback you need to get, ha ha. My work superiors have no design background other than your design gag-reel of, “Ew, white space, make it pop, and I’d really like to see that logo bigger” feedback. People who I respect but would tell me that I’m the expert, when really I just felt like a fake. I was one of “those” people that really wanted to be a designer, but had no formal training.

I really wanted to come to design school to make a solid step in that direction. I ultimately came to this conclusion when interviewing for jobs that would make me lose all creative elements of my current role, and realized that strict corporate communication/PR wasn’t where I wanted to continue my career. The program has been awesome at helping me integrate my comm background with design and I really hope it gives me better direction when I make my next career move. Going to art school is something I have always wanted, but made excuses for not doing – and one day, after one interview, I said to myself – if not now, then when? (Cliché, but so true). And that is how I got here and I’m so glad I did it. I’ve grown more confident and I’ve learned much more about the art and design field in general just through class talks, which has been awesome.  I would have never called myself a designer before this, but now I am getting more comfortable saying so and even (gulp) added it to my LinkedIn recently. 

It’s been awesome getting to know all of you throughout the semester!  I share Don’s sentiments!  As for me, I don’t have a master plan for myself and I hate hate, hate,  “where do you want to be in 5 years, 10 years, etc.” question because I never know and my path is constantly changing and never moves (ever) where I think it will, ha ha. The small class dynamic has been unique and I am grateful for our roundtables and laid-back discussions…and hope to stay in contact with all of you.  :)

Save the Fonts: Small Town Signage


I come from a small town, so Mo’s post got me looking at some icnonic places in my hometown, Camden-Wyoming (yes that’s two names, they are so small they must share a post office…sigh), Delaware. (Cue Wayne's World reference)

I think it is interesting to look at type throughout history and how it serves your communities. I'm not sure I feel strongly about her charging for use one way or another (Regarding Mo's example). But I can say my town's typography isn't as cool as what she dug up --although, I'm sure these have been reworked and I couldn't find older versions via google. Here’s a glimpse at some businesses that have been around since at least the 20's, below. Not that these are shining examples, but I definitely see a resurgence of "old" typefaces - especially in hipster culture, as discussed in class. 









No comments: