Sunday, December 6, 2015

Open Mic Night at the 650 Blog Pub

Hello all,

I feel like I should do something really deep for the last blog, but I don't think that's a good frame of mind in which to begin. My next thought is to simply open a forum in which we could all reflect on our experience in this class and in this program. I'll go first.

This class has introduced me to all of you, and for that I am grateful. Every week we go about our lives and try to make progress on our projects, then we bring in what we have and share it. It's a great small group and I've learned a lot from all of you. The discussion topics, the blogs, the critiques, the various approaches you all take in finding a solution, and the "we're all in this together" vibe has helped me to endure the tough schedule of school, work, and a tiny bit of personal life. So thank you, all of you. I consider you all friends and colleagues, personally and professionally.

The program has taught me a lot about myself. I didn't identify as a designer at all before this. I still don't 100% identify as a designer, but I think that's ok (My pipe dream is to construct the great American novel, a Bildungsroman tale where my own experience is ascribed to the characters, and the people who have shared this life with me will know when they read the part they inspired). I have a job where I learn about publishing and textbook development, and in grad school I've learned all about the world of graphic design, but at the end of the day I am neither; I'm just another human being like all of you. What I do doesn't define me, and this is just what I'm doing right now. These are skills I'm learning and I believe that they will allow me to progress in my career and make enough money to live a comfortable life, rich in experiences and conviviality.

Will I be a graphic designer? Maybe not. Will my design skills help me in whatever I do? Absolutely! Will I continue to develop textbooks? Sure, until the next thing comes along. This program was a window of opportunity for me, so I jumped through it. I've met some dear friends, learned lots, I'll be able to say that I have a Master's Degree, when 3 years ago, at 29, I didn't yet have a Bachelor's Degree. It's all happening so fast, and I'm so busy that I forget how far my arrested development has brought me, but I think it's a good exercise, and not selfish or braggadocious at all to reflect on victories and accomplishments, and smile to myself. I did it.

So what about you all? How have you grown in your experience at UB? What have you learned about yourself?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pass the mic Don.

I have learned in my 3 years in the MFA that I am capable of things that I never thought I could be, and it might be somewhat of a pipe dream, but I have been given one more hope that I will find a place that I can consistently grow as a creative spirit that appreciates me for my skills and for the person I am. Cubicle-free spirit.
While money is important I quite honestly don't believe that it is everything. Growing in your work, experiencing new experiences through your capabilities is what I have a hope for. That makes me want to get out of bed every morning.